Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It's not you, it's me!

We've all been there at some point in our life, when we've had to break up with a boyfriend who was text book perfect, but yet something was just not right. I myself have had to use the "it's not you, it's me" line, and recently I found myself almost having to use that line again. Seems rather strange to me since I am happily married and have three kids, but there was a person in my life who had been sucking the daylight out of me. When I would tell my dilemma to other friends, I was advised to "dump her" or "break up with her". I found this so disturbing, even though after every time that particular friend and I would talk or meet, I left feeling unsettled, aggitated and even sad. I couldn't quite forget how she was there for me or what a reliable friend she was. But when does the bad out way the good? This was and still is my greatest struggle. I kept making excuses for her unkindness or her rudeness. Eventually I did "let go" of the friendship as hard as it was for me. Almost instantly a weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I was able to focus on my family with pure joy. This is when I knew the decision was right. Now that we have broken up, it is interesting to see things more clearly and recognize how much time I wasted discussing her issues with my husband. I am only sorry that I didn't do it sooner. Now if only I can get my husband to break up with the downer in his life...

No comments: