Sunday, March 8, 2009

Potty Training made easy?

Is it possible to make potty training easy? I am not sure. I think I just got lucky. Several months ago, I started introducing the "potty” to my daughter. At first she thought it was a great new toy. She’d dance around the house with her pink Baby Bjorn Potty displayed proudly on her head. After that I figured she wasn’t quite ready and to be honest neither was I. Of course, I didn’t want her using the potty and then placing it on her head, so we took a break. Several weeks went by after the “potty hat” experience; I decided to introduce her to the video “Potty Power”. I had heard great things about the video, and had high hopes that after watching the video, she’d show a little more of an interest in sitting on the potty rather then wearing the potty. Well, I can see how the video would be a great learning tool, but for my daughter, it became a great dance video. She loved the songs and wanted to watch the video and dance to the music. So, again we went on to take another break. Unlike many moms, I still was not too concerned. My life is stressful enough that I figured, why get stressed over something I knew she’d get the hang of eventually. So a few more weeks went by when I came across a book called “Toilet Training in Less Than a Day” for sale on amazon.com, used for $1.50. For $1.50 how could I go wrong? Well, straight off, I could tell that the book, originally published in 1974, was a little off from what we do in the year 2009. I did find the premise of teaching a doll a good idea. So the next day, I rummaged through my daughter’s toy box and found her doll that could feed & wet, and what do you know it worked! We sat the doll on the potty, gave the doll her bottle and watched her go. So after 5 or 6 times, my daughter looked at me and said “my turn”. She sat down, took a swig out of her juice cup and looked down but couldn’t quite figure out it why the pee pee didn’t come out immediately. It didn’t stop her though, she sat & sat, and drank & drank and all of a sudden it happened. She was so proud of herself and believe it or not, that was it. I am sure the videos, and having her be my "toilet paper helper" was a big part of it as well, but I have to believe it was just timing. We are about 3 weeks into it now, with only one accident. My husband and I still look at each other with delight each time she goes. So, I am glad that I didn’t stress or fall into the pressure of what the other kids her age were doing. I am glad that I just let her be…so far, so good!

No comments: