Monday, March 16, 2009

The Dora saga continues...



Today, I noticed that the change of Dora's appearance has made Yahoo headlines. So, as I read the article, it seems as if Mattel & Nickelodeon feel that the parent's outrage is because, they just don't understand. Apparently, they are not replacing "Dora the Explorer", but adding a new Dora, that will be an interactive doll marketed to 5-8 year old.

According to Gina Sirard, vice president of marketing for Mattel, "I think there was just a misconception in terms of where we were going with this. Pretty much the moms who are petitioning aging Dora up certainly don't understand. ... I think they're going to be pleasantly happy once this is available in October, and once they understand this certainly isn't what they are conjuring up."

The new doll does not wear a short dress, but a tunic and leggings. Although she looks older, with long jewelry and longer hair, she doesn't have makeup and seems pretty much like a 10-year-old girl. I guess I may be naive, sheltered or am living in the dark ages, but I hope our 10 year old girls out there, do not look like this new Dora. I also have to ask, if the new Dora is in Middle School, living in the city and living the typical lifestyle of a girl in Middle School, why is she being targeted to 5-8 year olds???? I guess I am still confused!

No comments: