Monday, February 23, 2009

Excuse you...

I love my daughter, that's for sure. Everyday she simple amazes me and I have learned to see the world through her eyes. To be two and a half, have no worries about what is politically correct or to say the simplest things that have the most profound meaning, is an incredible place to be. I have been working on manners with my daughter, just the simple things like basic greetings, to say "please" and "thank you". I am so impressed each time she has repeated something I've taught her and am even more in awe when she actually uses each phrase in the correct context. I personally want to jump up and down and do the happy dance. Lately, I have been teaching her how and when to say, "excuse me". Sometimes I have to wonder if she is actually getting it, or if I am just an over obsessed first time mom trying to do everything perfectly. But the other day I realized that all my efforts have really worked. She now knows to say, "excuse me" if I am talking and she wants to interrupt. She knows how to say, "excuse me" if she burps. She may have mastered it a little too well...because the other morning we were waiting in line at Starbucks and a man bumped into the two of us. She looked up so innocently and said "Excuse You"!

No comments: